Airi's Top 20 Most Loved J-pop Songs of 2016!

IT'S THAT TIME OF THE YEAR AGAAAAAAAIN. WOOO~♪

I've been really bad at blogging this past year, but if there's one thing that I would never not blog – it would be this! My entry for my top most loved songs of the year! Last year, I did forty and well- that was quite something. It was really long and originally, earlier this year, I wanted to top 50 but I knew there was no way I can write that much in time. /whacked;

I listened to a lot of songs this year from a variety of genres. I love J-pop but recently I've been listening to a lot of Korean pop music too and some American pop music. I've been all over the place. So to make things simple- this entry will have my top 20 most loved J-pop songs. And if you're curious about K-pop, it will be on my diary blog (cuz I can post whatever I want in it, hehe).

I listened a lot of good J-pop songs and a lot of bad J-pop songs. But what came as my most favorite, most loved songs of the year? Here's my list of what those songs are!

20. Himitsu no Tiara to Gelato by Houkago Princess
Out of all the songs that's been released by Houkago Princess this year, I have to say– this song is probably my most favorite track from them this year.  The group is constantly improving as they release new content. It's a catchy song and the music video was (although way too bright, they need to turn down the exposure just a tiny bit) vibrant and colorful. Sasara was just amazing in this song, along with Maika. Ugh, I just really love this song. This is probably one of the best songs from the group as of yet. I can't wait to see what they'll do next year (and I definitely want to see the music video for their single! The covers look amazing!)

19. Thank you very much by Nishino Kana
The entire Anata no Suki na Tokoro single by Nishino Kana was really great and I love all the tracks. And well, one of the B-sides ended up on her latest album! In my opinion, for me - personally, I find her B-sides to be either hits or misses for me. I love the A-side, but there are times when I don't really like the other tracks on the single. However, for Thank you very much, at first I didn't really pay much attention to it but it grew onto me and I fell in love with the song. It has that country pop feel to it, that I do actually like! It's such an easy-going song and I listened to it a lot earlier this year and during the summer~

18. Cry by GARNiDELiA
I'll be quite honest, I haven't been following GARNiDELiA that much this year. I almost never discovered this song until awhile ago. Again, the duo has never failed to deliver another amazing track. I really, really like the song. It's that good that it has quickly risen up to be one of my most favorite songs this year. I prefer this song over a previous pop ballad they did, which was MIRAI. I also think the music video was really interesting. I love purple's, hot pink's, and teal's. The video gives off an eerie, yet sort of pained-"being trapped" kinda of feeling - at least that's what I'm assuming from the storyline. Overall, I really like the song. I feel bad I haven't been following the duo as much but since they came out with a pretty good mini-album, I'll be sure to start following them closely again for next year!

17. Back to the Future by Da-iCE
I know this song was on my list last year, but the album was released earlier THIS YEAR so ya'll can't judge me on this! /whacked; In my opinion, Da-iCE is just amazing. I loved all the songs they released this year and it was so hard to choose which ones I loved the best and put them into the list. Their album was amazing (and I can't wait for their third album). Out of all the tracks, Back to the Future was my most favorite. I can't stop listening to it. I've been listening to it the entire year. That's how good it is. I love Da-iCE so much. /cries;

16. Have a nice day by Nishino Kana
 This was my summer jaaaaaam~ Even though I never really put in my summer obsessions entries on my diary blog, I still really loved the song. I listened to it a lot when I was still doing my summer courses as well as when I went to the Virgin Islands for vacation. I personally think it's the perfect summer tune this year. It's refreshing, catchy, full of energy. Even the music video was great! I love the little comic book like effects during the chorus~ The music video was just bright and colorful~ If I started publishing my summer playlists again, this would be one of the songs on the playlist!

15. Kimagure Mercy by Hatsune Miku
I honestly think this is the first time a vocaloid song actually made it to my top songs list. I do like listening to vocaloid songs, but I just don't not an avid following of them hence I don't listen to that many new songs. In all truth, I discovered the song by chance and I was immediately hooked. The song, though super catchy, is actually bittersweet in terms of lyrics as it's about a girl finally having enough of a guy and leaving him after she's sick of hearing his excuses as well as his shallowness. The dance is really easy to remember too~ Overall, I really like the song and it felt really nice to listen to a vocaloid song again.

14. Dear Bride by Nishino Kana
It's really hard for me to not include Nishino Kana's songs in my list but I can't help it– she's one of my favorite soloists and I love her songs. Although Dear Bride may not be my most favorite track by her, it's still one of my favorite songs of the year. The song doesn't really have that country pop feel, it still has a very lovely tune that. It's sweet, it's lovely, I love the piano. This is a really a song that suits weddings, in my opinion~ From what I read – if I recall correctly – the lyrics were dedicated to a friend for her marriage and all. Honestly, I can't dislike the song at all. It's sweet and uplifting.

13. TWO AS ONE by Da-iCE
At the moment, I am writing this- only the short version has been released and I'm eagerly waiting for the full version to come out. The song is so beautiful and I'm just– Ughhhh, I just want the album to come out already! (It comes out the day after my birthday, and that's so far away) I can't comment much on it because all I have is the short version, but I already love it so much. Like please, I just want the album to come out already so that I can just put this song on repeat. /cries;

12. Anata no Suki na Tokoro by Nishino Kana
 I love the entire single to the point where almost all of the song have made it to my top twenty list of the year (A HA HA was #21 /whacked;). However, out of the three, I simply love the main track the most. I know a lot of people are really tired of the country-theme that's been going on, but I like it! I love the song and I find it so relatable. It's because the song is about reasons why she/the audience loves her boyfriend. The reasons listed in the song are also reasons why I love my boyfriend. It's a lovely, catchy tune. I love it and it's one of my most favorite songs from Nishino Kana as of yet.

11. bye bye by lol
At this point in my life, I feel like I have fully accepted and admitted that I really do like lol. I can't help it, their songs are super catchy and I just like them. Out of all the promotional songs they've released this year, bye bye really stood out to me the most. It's catchy and it's the most memorable. My favorite would have to be Moca's part after the dance break before the final chorus. Even though it's sounds like a very easy-going, energetic dance song - it's actually bittersweet as it's about break-ups. I really love the choreography for this song and the music video was pretty good (I like the version they released for Popteen the most, as it really showed the story~). Now, I wonder what the group will release for next year~ 

10. Koibito Doushi by MACO
Guys, guys- if I ever start publishing my Valentine's Day playlists again, I know exactly what song I'm putting on it. This is perhaps my most favorite song from MACO as of yet. The music video was very pinky and was absolutely adorable. The song had such a sweet, lovely sound and was really cute. It's a song about lovers and it reminded me of my boyfriend. She even released another short version of the music video which features images of short clips of other couples.. Ugh, it's just so adorable and nice! I love it so much! This song is great!

09. Endless Tears ~Owaranai Melody~ by Cliff Edge
The original song which was sung with Nakamura Maiko was beautiful, but I also really love the new version sung by Melody Chubak. I believe she's a pretty good vocalist as well. Listening to this song really brings back a lot of nostalgia for me because it's a really old (not really, but still) song and it's one of the songs I listened to when I first seriously got into Japanese pop music. It was perfect for the winter time. The arrangement was really nice; it's slightly different from the original version, in my opinion. If you love the original version, I do think you'll like the new version as well. It's a very beautiful song overall.

08. Namida no Nai Sekai by AAA
Ever since their tenth anniversary extravaganza (in which they released so many songs last year), I haven't been following AAA as much. I wasn't too much of a fan of their first single released this year. But then.. BAM! They released this song and it immediately caught my interest! AAA is a group full of great singers and I love their pop ballads. This is another wonderful ballad from them. Although I have yet to read a translation of the lyrics, the song has a very bittersweet feel to it. I also want to point out that music video was beautifully shot as well. The song is just amazing to the point that my boyfriend, who doesn't really like J-pop, also likes it as well!

07. xmas kiss by lol
This song seriously grew onto me. The more I listened to it, the more I come to like it - and now, it's probably my most favorite song by lol so far. In all truth, this was my go to Christmas song for this year. I listened to this song so much ever since the music video was first released. It makes me really happy to know the song was released a digital single. The song is different from their usual releases, which features EDM. It's nice to hear a song from them that doesn't feature so much electronic sounds. Plus, this song really shows off their vocal abilities. They're not bad singers after all! I also really love the music video (they featured a small pomeranian FLOOF!).

06. Into You (Ariana Grande Cover) by Da-iCE
As much as I love the original by Ariana Grande (it's my favorite track on her album), I really do love Da-iCE's cover of her song! Look, I really do not want to say much because I do intend to write a review on it in the future. The arrangement and the dance break is just amazing- and the music video is gorgeous! Out of all the tracks for Da-iCE's next album, this is the song I'm looking forward to the most! Also, I want to comment that Souta's and Yudai's English pronunciation is getting better - you can see it in this song. The original by Ariana Grande is great, but this cover is just as great too. I'm currently listening to it as I'm writing this entry.

05. Mugen Climax by ºC-ute
 It was really hard for me to choose which song I liked the better between this and Singing ~Ano Koro no You ni~; however, I liked the latter just a little more at the moment. However, it doesn't mean that this song is no good. It's in my top five and perhaps one of the best songs ºC-ute has released this year- or perhaps one of the best songs the group has released ever. The song is a great blend between the modern day pop and EDM with some old classical sounds (the song samples Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, and if you squint- there's a hint of some sounds from the Baroque era, in my opinion). It has become one of my favorite songs from the group as of yet~ It really shows of their more sophisticated, mature look and it's unique how they incorporated the members' names into the songs.

04. Koigokoro by Da-iCE
Best single by Da-iCE this year, end of discussion. This has become of my most favorite songs by Da-iCE this year. I was obsessed with it, and I have been waiting for the full version to come out every since the short version was released. The song is a pop ballad and it's amazing! It really shows off Souta's and Yudai's vocal prowess! I love the music video because it's simple yet still able to portray that heavy, sad feeling due to the darkness of the setting. The dance was amazing and I'm just like- I feel so content with this single. I love the song. Like oh my god, Da-iCE has taken so many spots in my top twenty list this year. Will they reach number one on my list next year??? (they probably will, they're releasing such a good music ;3;)

03. Singing ~Ano Koro no You ni~ by ºC-ute
Do I really need explain why I love this song so much? Yes, yes I have to for this entry. Anyways, this song is absolutely beautiful. It's honestly so full of nostalgia because the song really focuses (lyrics-wise) on the group and they're looking back and reflecting on the past. They're grateful for everything and will continue on until the end. Even though they won't be disbanding until next year, this song really does feel like it's the finale. I do hope they sing this song in their final concert, it's sincerely a great song and my most favorite track in the single.

02. circle by FAMM'IN
 The song is brilliant, you can't really deny it. I feel like this was the biggest shock for me this year because I didn't expect for the group to release something like this. It's a whole blend of a mixture of genres/sounds such as EDM and trap, yet somehow it just works to well together. It's trippy, unusual, yet still brilliant. It's an addicting to listening to.  The music video was also pretty good as well. It's simple and minimalistic. The music video was freakin' aesthetic. This is a song I would recommend for this wanting to hearing something a bit different from the usual idol music. I'm still waiting for the next track to be released /whacked;

01. Koi by Hoshino Gen
Watching the drama Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu introduced me to this song and– it was immediately love at first sight for me. The song just feels so bright and full of energy and it just makes me feel happy. The song is just a perfect mix between old sounds and new, and I feel like it really appeals to a large audience of a variety of ages. I love this song so much, I'm constantly humming it without realizing it. It has also come to the point where I even remember the dance to it as well – it's so much fun to do. I know what you may be thinking: this song has been number one on the digital charts for who knows how long now, it's overrated, etc. This song is great. I don't care if it has become overrated, at least give this song a chance. I love this song, okay? I love it so much. Good job, Hoshino Gen! Hiramasa-san~

So those are my top twenty most loved J-pop songs of the year~ I went from top forty last year, to top twenty this year. I originally intended to do top fifty but that was waaaay too much for me and I don't think I would've made it by the deadline. Nonetheless, I was glad to get this done! I always love doing these entries every year! It's such much fun!

Now I want to know, what are your top twenty (ten, fifty, etc!) J-pop songs of the year? Also, if you have any Japanese songs or artists I should listen to– leave a comment down below and I would love to read them! So until my next post, jyaa ne~

Comments

Popular Posts