Airi's 20 Most Loved Songs of 2020! ♡

So I've been back in school, which is the primary reason why this took me some time to finish and get this published. However, it is better to post this late than never. Also, at least I've gotten this done in the first third of the new year. I consider that to be an achievement considering my blog track record for the past few years! Nevertheless, welcome back to my blog! Thank you for sticking around for this!

Today, we have part three of my end-of-year rankings. Previously, I've talked about my most favorite singles of 2020 (you can read it here!) and my most favorite albums of 2020 (you can read that here!). Now, I will talk about my most loved songs, my most favorite songs, of 2020! Wooooo~  

Before we begin, here is a note to share about my ranking: 
This is based purely on personal enjoyment. This is my ranking. I will like whatever I want to like. these are the songs that I constantly go back to throughout the year. If I open my music player right now, I would choose one of these songs to listen to instantly.

20. BL by 女王蜂
I mentioned this before but it's such a dark and eerie hook for the soul. I couldn't stop listening to it; it's addicting and it's almost as if I am hypnopized by it. One of the things that i really like about BL is the use of bass to add to the overall dark vibe of the song. To an extent, if you're planning on making a J-pop Halloween playlist, this would be a perfect addition to it! Also, I liked this song so much that I watched the drama 10 no Himitsu to see this play out as a theme song. (Although, I only watched the first three episodes because I lost interest in the plot... oops). Ziyoou-vachi, especially Avu-chan, always have a distinctive style of mysic and I'm looking forward to seeing what else they'll put out in the future. 

19. パレード by ヨルシカ
This is the first Yorushika song that I have ever listened to and it will always hold a special place in my heart. It's a very sweet and calming track, despite the very sad lyrics. It's one of my favorite songs that I constantly go back to when listening to their Dakara Boku wa Ongaku wo Yameta album. It's also the perfect addition if you want to create a very calm, dreamy, and a little bit melancholic playlist for studying (like I did). ♡

18. NAVIGATOR by SixTONES
This is the best SixTONES A-side by far and I am willing to fight for it. The hype around this song was so unreal as fans, SixTONES and Fugou Keiji, were waiting for the full version to be released. Finally, when the song was released after months of listening to the opining version, the satisfaction of having it was so great. This song deserved all of the hype surrounding it. It's a very strong song and I love the underlying strings in the instrumental. Juri's rap is pure *chef's kiss* Look, this was his era. I mean, look at him! The bright speck of pink in a sea of blues and blacks. Yes, Jesse's reddish hair is great but JURI STOOD OUT. I was bias-wrecked by him during this whole period and I think most fans were too (Taiga, I still love you). This was an amazing A-side for an amazing single overall. 

17. 極東DANCE by Sexy Zone
One of my favorite tracks from their album and one of my favorite title tracks from the group overall. In my opinion, this song really defines POP x STEP!? as a whole. The song is an explosive blast of electro-rock mixed with pop. And if you know me, I'm a huge sucker for EDM so this song was right up my alley. I immediately fell in love with the track when it was first released. It's a very fun dance tune. I also want to give a special shout-out to the music video because I love how it really showed that modern Japanese aesthetic. I love the neon. I love the setting. I love the styling. Also, seeing it performed in their POP x STEP!? online concert was *chef's kiss*

16. アーカイブに保存した曲 by ちゃんみな
This was the song that really made me want to get into Chanmina, that really made me notice her and take a deep dive into her discography. Up until around that point in early 2020, I've associated Chanmina as her sound in FXXKER and in Princess. They were okay songs but they weren't my cup of tea. I wasn't too big into the hip-hop and rap genre. However, after encountering Archive ni Hozon Shita Kyoku, it opened my blind eyes to the fact that Chanmina is capable of doing so much more than just hip-hop and rap. This track was so different from what I heard from her previously; it's a very soft EDM which is the type of genre that I love. It also has a very chill vibe to it that's great for studying, rainy days, and daydreaming. It's one of my favorite songs on her Never Give Up album and it will always have a special place in my heart. 

15. ハルジオン by YOASOBI
Oh, this song has a very special place in my heart. It's the first TOASOBI song that I have ever listened to and really had me obsessed with the duo. Compared to Yoru ni Kakeru, which was much more melancholic, Halzion presents a much more lighter and sweeter sound. Although, don't let the instrumental deceive you as the lyrics also presents its own sadness as well. It's about moving on from the end of a relationship and learning to accept yourself. This really resonated with me and made me feel nostalgic about my own experiences in life. As of this moment, it is my second-most favorite song from YOASOBI. ♡

14. Angel by ちゃんみな
It is the summer love song that we didn't know that we wanted but we needed. I'm love the intro as the guitar helped give the song a very tropical, summer-y flare to it. This is another song from Chanmina that I love very much and it's one of my top favorites. With the release of Angel, it made me reflect that I have preference for Chanmina's more melodic songs like this (especially with Never Grow Up and Archive ni Hozon Shita Kyoku). I'm looking forward to seeing what else she will release in the future and what kind of sounds she might venture into. 

13. 盗作 by ヨルシカ
N-buna.. I really do see him as a genius. Tousaku, or plagiarism as it's translated, really lives up to its name as it recycles some sounds from previous songs like Haru HisagiAi Nijou, and Hana ni Bourei for example. It's a very reflective work of modern music as the same notes, chords, melodies, rhythms are often rearranged in order to appear different from each other. However, they all derive from some sort of original work. With that, comes the sense of unsatisfaction and insecurity as nothing feels good enough. Then, afterwards, the loss of passion for music starts squirming its way into the heart. I'm... I'm utterly blown away by N-buna as I dive deeper and try to analyze his music. 

12. Blessed by Sexy Zone
This is my favorite song from their POP x STEP!? album. Throughout this entire album, they had been aiming for that Tokyo sounds, modern city pop concert and they succeeded. This is one of the first songs that I listen to whenever I play the album. The violin intro is stunning and flows very well into the rest of the song which is a very slow R&B and city pop inspired sound. At times, it even gave me one of those chill and lo-fi vibes as well (which was great for studying as I had summer courses!). All in all, I love this song very much and I don't know what else to say. Sexy Zone has truly come a long way and evolve since their early works. I would do anything for them to do another album like POP x STEP!?, PAGES, or even XYZ=repainting

11. ただ君に晴れ by ヨルシカ
UTSUMUITA MAMA OTONA NI NATTE OITSUKENAI TADA KIMI NI HARE 
*CLAP CLAP*
Do not let this upbeat and lively tune deceive you because the lyrics focus on the acceptance and resigning of adulthood and youthful nostalgia. Yorushika is at it again with producing another song that I love and with lyrics that really resonate with me about my current feelings with adulthood. 

10. 花人局  by ヨルシカ
Hanamotase is my ost favorite track from this album. I truly do love almost every single track for this album; Tousaku is one of the best albums of the year. However, this is the track that I kept going back to. It's the first track that I want to listen to whenever I have the album playing. It's a very bittersweet song about, from my interpretation, of having lost everything and trying to cling onto the memories that remain. The instrumental is rich with the guitars and the piano. Also, I would like to mention the fucking bridge. HOLY SHIT. IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL. THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST BRIDGES OF ALL TIME. N-BUNA, YOU'RE A GENIUS. 

9. You & I by SixTONES
There are some fans who absolutely love Telephone. There are others who love Lemonade. Some go for the classic such as Hysteria. However, my favorite B-side and my most favorite track from the group thus fir is You & I. I love how SixTONES are always so trendy when it comes to their B-sides. Yes, their A-side tracks are great but their B-sides are amazing! I'm thriving. You & I is a very stand-out track from their NAVIGATOR single. I love the violin in the intro which transitions so well into the melodic EDM of the song. Throughout the year, this is one of the songs that I kept coming back to. I can't have enough of it; I'm not sick of it. It makes me a little bit sad that I don't see this song talked about a lot within my social circle. So, here I am. I'm shoving my You & I agenda onto you, dear reader! You need to listen to it. It's their best b-side in 2020 and I'm willing to fight for it. 

8. Never Grow Up by ちゃんみな
This is my most favorite song from Chanmina to date. You know me, I'm a sucker when it comes to EDM especially soft and melodic EDM. As I was listening to this album for the first time and this song started playing, I fell in love with it at first listen. I became obsessed to the point where it became one of my most played songs during the summer time. With Archive ni Hozon Shita Kyoku, this is one of the songs that really changed my perspective of Chanmina. She will always be more well-known for her hip-hop tracks like Doctor, Picky, or even FXXKER. However, Never Grows Up shows that she is so capable of delivering slower and subtle songs. Also, before I forgot, the acoustic version is beautiful

7. NOT FOUND by Sexy Zone
2020 has been quite a year for everyone and I never expected that we would be getting 5NIN SEXY ZONE AGAIN, HOLY FUCKING SHIT. Even if it was for a brief period (I miss you everyday, Marius! I hope you're doing well!), I have never been this happier in my life as a sekuraba. In regards to NOT FOUND, I will admit that this song took some time to grow on me especially since it follows such an amazing track like RUN. However, I love it so much! It's become one of my favorite title tracks from the group thus far. The song features a very strong band, jazz-like vibe that Sexy Zone is known for in many of their songs. The brass instruments with the bass really sets up this song to be fun, dynamic, and very vibrant. My favorite part of this entire track would have to be Fuma's rap and the bridge because that is *chef's kiss* From the rap to the bridge to the final chorus– everything flows so well together to create this one last blast of power. One of the best bridges in the entirety of Sexy Zone's discography. It's perfect.

Also, welcome back Sou. I missed you so much. ♡

6. 正しくなれない by ずっと真夜中でいいのに。
This is a very late addition to the list; however, I am so surprised by this song. Up until now, whenever I listen to ZUTOMAYO, I've always associated them to have this very retro-esque rock sound with an emphasis on the bass. Thus, seeing them release a song like Tadashiku Narenai was a complete surprise. The song does stay true to the group's usual sound with the strong presence of the guitar and bass within the verses and the pre-chorus. However, what makes the song really stand out to me the most is how they incorporated the strings and piano to give the song a much more gentler tone that suits the vibe of Yakusoku no Neverland. As I've said before, it's a very pretty and bittersweet song. Personally, it's my most favorite song from them so far and I'm looking forward to seeing what they'll bring out in the future. 

5. だから僕は音楽を辞めた by ヨルシカ
Talented. Brilliant. Incredibly. Amazing. Show-stopping. Spectacular. Never the same. Totally unique. Never have been done before. Iconic. I'm in tears. This is the song that marked me going down the rabbit hole that was Yorushika and I've never looked back since. It's one of my most favorite tracks from them and has really opened me up to this new wave of post-Vocaloid artists. I've listened to it nonstop during the summer to the point that my play count has reached move the five hundred (I regret nothing). Suis' vocals. N-buna's lyrics and composition. This song is beautiful and filled with bitter lyrics about not wanting to make music yet still being constantly drawn back to it. I love how Yorushika has build up this story with Amy and Elma in this album and the next. 

4. 藍二乗 by ヨルシカ
I'm constantly switching back and forth between Ai Nijou and Dakara Boku wa Ongaku wo Yameta between fourth and fifth because I love both of these songs so much. They're my top two favorite songs from Yorushika of all time. However, as I'm listening to Ai Nijou while writing this, I'm going to place it at number four. Again, Yorushika continues to deliver deep and powerful songs while continuing the story with Amy's perspective. The lyrics focus on the end of life, the realizing that dreams have expiration dates, and the acceptance of the reality of life. It's a beautiful and bittersweet song. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm just gonna go into the corner and cry now.

In all seriousness though, if you want to get into Yorushika, please listen to their Dakara Boku wa Ongaku wo Yameta album. It's amazing, one of my all-time favorite albums, and truly one of a kind. You won't regret it (at least I hope you don't). 

3. カタオモイ by Aimer
An unexpected addition to the list! I bet you all didn't see this coming, haha. It really speaks a lot about myself when I've sincerely discovered this song in 2020... I've been sleeping on this track for who knows and I feel so stupid. I discovered this song when it was playing in the background of a LilyPichu stream (dear god, but thanks Lily). Anyways, from the first moment that I heard it, I was immediately in love with the track. The song is very romantic when it comes to the lyrics and a little bit bittersweet depending on your interpretation as the title of the song is Kataomoi (Unrequited Love). It has a very chill and dreamy feel to it which was the reason how I became so drawn to it. It's become one of my most favorite songs of all time and I want to sincerely apologize for Aimer for being so blind to it for so long. Also, fun fact, androp's Uchisawa Takahiro produced the song and he also worked on Kamishiraishi Mone's Happy End which I also loved and was one of my 2019 favorites! ♡

NOW, IT COMES DOWN TO THE FINAL TWO. I CANNOT CHOOSE A NUMBER ONE SO I'M JUST GOING TO SHARE BOTH. AND THOSE SONGS ARE...! 

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  RUN by Sexy Zone *:・゚✧*:・゚✧
It's taking all of my self-control to not type this out in all caps because this is truly, sincerely the best Sexy Zone song to date ever. Can you name a Sexy Zone song that was more hyped up than this? To me, personally, this is their most iconic song yet. It's triumphant, brilliant, and stunning. This is the group running towards their future, towards a new beginning. The brass, the strings, all of the instruments worked so well together to build up this song that is explosive, powerful, and satisfying. It makes me feel excited, motivational, so fucking emotional. I've never shed this much tears over a Sexy Zone song before and– I love it. I love it so much. Don't even get me started on when I watched the group perform this as five during their POP x STEP!? concert as the encore. I fucking wailed like a baby. This is one of my two ultimate favorite songs of the year, and this is one of my ultimate favorite songs of all time too. 

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧ 夜に駆ける by YOASOBI *:・゚✧*:・゚✧
Again, is anyone really surprised that it's year? It's the most iconic song and the biggest mainstream hit of the year. Of course, my other ultimate favorite song of the year is going to be YOASOBI's Yoru ni Kakeru. We are given a face-paced and upbeat instrumental with an emphasis on piano that is combined with lyrics about depression and death. It's an addicting song. It's melancholic. It's bittersweet. I'm sad but I'm vibing too. Even after having it on repeat for the entire year, I'm not tired of it. It's as if I'm under a spell, like how the boy is charmed by the girl who is in turn charmed by death. With YOASOBI (and Yorushika), I think it has opened me up to the fact that I am really enjoying this new-ish wave of post-vocaloid music. And I'm looking forward to see what's to come in 2021. ♡

After so long, I'm finally done. I've finally had this published. So those were my Top 20 most loved songs of 2020. What is your ranking for the year? What are your favorite songs of the year? If you're still following this blog even after so much inactivity, thank you so much for reading. If you're new, also thank you for even making it this far in the entry and dealing with me rambling. Until my next post, jyaa ne~

Comments

Popular Posts