Airi's Top 20 Most Loved J-pop Songs of 2017!

IT'S THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR! WHOO~! ♪
I can fail at writing out many blog entries. I can fail my classes (literally did fail a class, yeah that really made me depressed this month). I can fail at making aesthetic edits for tumblr. I can fail at a lot of things in general because I'm just a smol, awkward bean. But if there's one thing that I would never fail at- it would be making this post annually! Truth to be told, I love ranking/list entries.It's always so much fun to write~

This year, I made it my goal to listen to a lot of J-pop songs as possible. Last year, I was a bit of a frenzy for K-pop and for American pop music. I really wanted to immerse myself more into J-pop this year than I ever did before. At the end of this year, when I looked at the list of J-pop songs I've loved (like blasting it everywhere and out loud, that kind of love) - the initial list was 70 but I narrowed it done to 20 similar to last year~ Maybe next year I will do a Top 50. Maybe~ lol.

I listened a lot of hella great songs and I listened to a lot of songs that are meh. However, what songs came out on top for me? Here's a list of what those songs are!

20. Mermaid by Matsushima Sou 
I'm putting an image of Sou here because the actual album art is kinda ugly (I don't like the blue against the black, sorry). To be honest, out of the solo songs that was released within that album- Sou's solo song has to be the best so far. I'm not saying this because I'm a biased Sou stan (even though I am. He's my precious yet awkward capybara-loving son), but really- his solo song was the most catchy out of the five. It honestly suits his vocals so well and you can hear that he's having fun while singing it. I would die to see a live performance of it on ShoKura one day. It's a very up-beat and vibrant song~ Listening to it helped lift up my spirits when I was kinda depressed this month. Look at my son, his vocal ability is definitely improving and I'm loving every solo he sang (even the covers too~). Personally for me, it's the best Sexy Zone-related song of the year.

19. TWO AS ONE by Da-iCE
What's an annual top songs list from me without a song from Da-iCE?~ Four years and counting! /whacked; This song is absolutely beautiful. Yes, it was on my top 20 list year. However, in my defense, the album wasn't released until earlier this year! The short version was beautiful but having the full version was even better! I swore I had the entire album on repeated for the first three months of the new year. And this was one of my favorite tracks on it. Da-iCE's pop ballads never fail to amaze me. I love Yudai and Souta's vocals so much. To be honest, if I sincerely had to make of my top favorite songs from the group - this track would definitely be on it.

18. Roleplaying Game by SoraMafuUraSaka
I swear to God, this screencap from the music video was just perfect and I had to use it as the cover art. This year, I've seriously been into Mafumafu's music - especially during the later half of the year. I'll admit that I'm not a devoted follower of his. Rather, I was just a casual fan and sometimes listen to his covers every once in awhile. But goddamn, his latest album was beautiful and then this song came up earlier this month and it's just as beautiful. It's so incredibly lively, catchy. Personally, for me, it's pretty goddamn accurate look on how playing rpg really is. :D I really love the dialogue which made me laugh~

17. Be The One by PANDORA ft. Beverly 
Okay, I can admit. I'm one of those fans that would never have fun with Kamen Rider again after the beauty and glory and pain that was Exaid (great cast, great story. Sorry Gaim, Exaid's my new favorite!). To be honest, I didn't really want to get into Build because it did symbolically killed Exaid. However, I still watched it and it's pretty damn good. But also, the opening is incredibly catchy. I sincerely remember trying to keep a straight face but I couldn't. I sincerely like this song. Damn, access grandpas are killing it this year with the KR songs (Hiro with Exaid and now Daisuke with Build). All of their songs are bops, my lord.

16. Reviver by MY FIRST STORY
Yes, I know. This is technically J-rock mainly but who cares? This is my list anyways. One song from My First Story isn't going to hurt! And goddamn (wow, I'm saying that word a lot in this entry. I need to step up my vocabulary /whacked;), this song was my jam okay? To be honest, of all the J-rock bands that I listen to- I think it's okay for me to admit that My First Story is my favorite of them all. Their songs have never disappointed me whatsoever. Personally, for me, the lyrics - I have read the translation - for Reviver really did hit home for me. It wouldn't feel right if I didn't put this song on the list.

15. Justice by Takami Hiroyuki
Hiro is the J-pop grandpa you never knew you needed but now that you wish you have. His two solo songs are the only good (in terms of like you know, singing - not the bgms) tracks that came out of this character soundtrack, okay? Sorry Kamen Rider Girls, I don't care about you. I'm here for Dan Masamune. I absolutely love Wish in The Dark (and I sincerely wished Kuroto has his own version of the song), but I just like this song so much more. It's great and the perfect background music for Dan Masamune's character. This was such a bop- well, really it was more a blessing. This was the song that made me more interested in listening more to access' music and I'm liking what I'm hearing so far~

14. Into You (Ariana Grande Cover) by Da-iCE
Feel free to fight me on this but I personally think that Da-iCE's cover is a lot better than the original by Ariana Grande /runs away; But really though, I listen to this version more than the original. By far, my favorite track from the album and the number one hit song for Airi Hot 100 (a made up name for basically my favorite songs, new songs, popular songs playlist... I'm weird, I know. Forgive me) for months of January, February, and March. As I mentioned before, the arrangement and the dance break was really nice. The music video was gorgeous by the way, I love the cool color palette theme they had. Everyone looked hot as hell too. Bias? What bias? In Da-iCE, get one bias get four more free. Back to the point, this was a good cover and the best song I heard from Da-iCE this year (all the other songs they released are also good. Do not misunderstand).

13. Suisai Ginga no Chronicle by Mafumafu 
Look at this artwork for his latest album (as well as the other editions). Like, oh my fxcking god. If I had to create a list of the most beautiful cd covers - Ashita Iro World End would just top the list. Honestly, I feel so compelled to buy the physical album itself but then again- I have no money. /whacked; Whoever created the artwork, please let me know. This is gorgeous. Either way, back to the song. If I could put all of the songs on the list, I could but then it would be too long. Suisai Ginga no Chronicle is my most favorite track from the album and it's go-to song I listen to the most. I don't know what's the best way to describe it but it has such a pretty, whimsical, magical instrumental to it~ I have yet to read a translation but I really like this song. It feels like such a perfect winter-sounding song. If I had to recreate my seasonal playlists, this would be for winter.

*By the way, if you want me to start creating those playlists again- let me know in the comments~ I'm considering doing them again for 2018. Ayy~

12. Mou Gaman Dekinai wa ~Love Ice Cream~ 
by Morning Musume '17
Haha, you thought that I wouldn't include a Morning Musume song onto my top 20~ You were wrong. Although, to be honest, I'm surprised too because let's just say- I wasn't too crazy with their recent works. It's okay, but compared to like years before- I'm not too crazy about it. Their fifteenth album was okay. I did like the newer tracks (except for Narcissus something, I don't even know. And Koi wa Toki ni was boring). However, the one song from Morning Musume that stood out this year would have to be this track. Wow, this song is actually really good! The vocals aren't bad, and I love the beat of the song. It's really lively and fun. I love the underlying electric guitar and drums. It sounds like an epic song despite the lyrics all about wanting ice cream. Good job to Haga, Ogata, Kaede, and Reina. I'm really impressed, really!

11. Kokyu by Suda Masaki
Holy shxt, Masaki's releasing music and is a solo artist now. That is the one thing I honestly would have never expected to happen this year. I was completely surprised and wow, he's a pretty good vocalist. I really enjoyed this single, this song especially. Did you know that he even wrote the lyrics for Kokyu as well? I remember when I first found out he was releasing music, I was just mindblown for a good day or two. Personally, I always knew of Suda Masaki is a good actor. He was also Philippe from Kamen Rider W. But wow, this song. Honestly, I just have new words. His songs took me by surprise and I loved them all. However, Kokyu was my favorite of them all. Hopefully, he'll release more in 2018?~

10. hanauta by lol 
We're finally in the top ten now! Honestly, lol is just killing it with their songs this year. I am loving every single track that's been released. And I will go as far as to say that if you had to describe my summer this year in a song- it would have to be lol's perfect summer and hanauta and hikari all in one big mashup. Their first album isn't anything unique I'd say as it mainly consisted of songs the released in previous singles. However, hanauta is a new original track and I'm really loving it. Even now, I'm still listening to it a lot. But also, if you listened to the album- I loved how catch the wave just flowed so well into hanauta.

09. Final Squall by ºC-ute 
To be honest, it still hasn't really sunk in to me that ˚C-ute really did disband earlier this year. I don't know, it really felt like it was so long ago- like a fleeting memory. However, it doesn't stop me from listening to the group and I was really happy that they released one last amazing song before disbanding. To be honest, I didn't really care about the other two songs on the single but Final Squall was different. I feel like this was the final farewell song that they deserved. This is another one of their goodbye songs but it's different in it's own way.  They're not singing about a reflection of themselves or their experiences. Rather, they're singing about how they know this is the end for now but they're going to pull through. They'll meet again. It's bittersweet, it's powerful in its own way. This is ºC-ute, this is their legacy.

08. Togetsukyou ~Kimi Omoufu~ by Kuraki Mai 
Kuraki Mai, back at it again with another beautiful track. Okay, in all truth- I wasn't too keen on her more recent singles and album and the like. However, this song was just absolutely beautiful and made me feel nostalgic with feels similar to Time after Time ~Hana Mau Machi de~. The single even included a remix of that, that's just amazing. Me, being biased, love the remix anyways. It's an instrumental but with some changes but that's not the point. This track was lovely and I was loving the nostalgic oriental sound again. It compliments perfectly with the theme for the 21st Detective Conan movie. 

07. Here by JUNNA
I honestly thought that after Ansatsu Kyoushitsu, I would never be able to love another manga the same way ever again. To be honest, I have never been so glad to be wrong because Mahoutsukai no Yome is just absolutely fantastic. Why haven't I read this manga sooner??? I first got into it by watching the anime and holy shxt, the opening theme was amazing. I really feel like the whole tone of the song compliments the feel of the manga and anime. There was a sense of mystery, whimsical, magical feeling to it. I also really like the underlying sort of Spanish (I don't know? I know there's a term for it but I'm most likely using the wrong word for it) sound to it with the guitars, violins, and other instruments. These was the BGM to put on when you're reading the manga, just saying.

06. Precious Girl by Hey! Say! JUMP
Oh look, what is this? A Hey! Say! JUMP song within my top ten? Within the for years I've been doing this, I have never ever had a song from the group make it only my yearly list. And now here it is! And it's in the top ten too! Honestly though, the group killing it for the tenth anniversary. All the singles are good, the new tracks on the best album are cool. Precious Girl is my most favorite track from this year. I think it's the best JUMP-related song for 2017 but this might end up being my ultimate favorite song from them overall??? Like it's incredibly catchy, especially during the chorus. It's fun, makes you want to dance~ Even the music video was pretty fun as well~ I felt very happy with this song and it was such a nice summer bop~

05. Uchiage Hanabi by DAOKO ft. Yonezu Kenshi
While Hoshino Gen's Koi was the streaming hit song of 2016, Uchiage Hanabi is this year's song~ Granted, I can't avoid this song because it was practically everywhere. I see it pop up in the rankings a lot, some singers I follow are covering it, etc. There was so much hype for the song and the film it was practically advertising for. So I braced myself and I listened to the song. Goddamn, this one good song. Granted, I just want the movie recently and to be honest- it's kinda like mmm okay if you have to compare it to Kimi no Na wa or Koe no Katachi. But this song? I personally think it's worth the hype. It's lovely, fresh. It was a really good song to stream during the summer for me.

04. hikari by lol
 Seriously though, lol are just killing it with their songs this year. Honestly, I would have never expected that they would sing the ending theme for the Heisei Generations movie last year. It was really good song nonetheless. I really liked the overall feel of the song as well as the vocals. Someone, anyone, please- I really do want the instrumental for this song. Plus, when I first heard it- I never expected that it was lol singing. Granted, it sounded familiar but I didn't know for sure it was them until I actually checked the information online. I'm really impressed with the song. It's become one of my most favorite songs from the group so far (perhaps my most favorite~)

03. EXCITE by Miura Daichi
Would I say that this is the best opening theme song ever in the entire Kamen Rider series? No, because there are a lot of other great opening themes and it depends on the person. Please W's opening was my jam. Although, it still doesn't change the fact that this song was jam this year. It's catchy, it's fun. It makes you want to sing and dance along. Not once did I ever skip watching the opening when a new episode of Exaid came out. For me, personally, it has become one of my most favorite KR opening themes... e v e r. And now, everyone. I ask that you all stand for my personal anthem/epic of the year for 2017 (and perhaps for the rest of my life because Kamen Rider Exaid has ruined me).

02. Dreams by Chris Hart
So, let me tell you a little story. I was first introduced to the song via a monthly favorite j-pop songs ranking video and I was immediately h o o k e d. I know Chris Hart, I've heard his music before. I'm more a of a casual fan though and not a devoted followed. But goddamn, this song was amazing. However, because he's not as popular compared to other artist, it was really hard to find the track and download it. I love this song so much, I remember spending hours on end trying to find it. And guess what? It was worth it. Chris Hart's vocals are always amazing but the overall song was very beautiful. This perhaps might be my most favorite song from him ever.

.
.
.

And now, before I reveal my number one song of 2017, here are some honorable mentions! Other songs I loved, some I almost included in the ranking this year~

Sweet Memory by MACO
Zettai Yoiko no Etcetera by After The Rain (Soraru and Mafumafu)
Bokura Dake no Toushindai by Goosehouse
Koi no Michi by MACO
LIFE by AAA
Abracadabu Luv! by Houkago Princess
perfect summer by lol
I/O by Hey! Say! JUMP
Peace Sign by Yonezu Kenshi
Ho wo Agero! by BOYS AND MEN
Akai Kajitsu by Kis-My-Ft2
Datte, Kimi no Kanajo da mon by Ueno Yuuka
Shikioriori ni Tayutaite by After The Rain (Soraru and Mafumafu)
White Love by Hey! Say! JUMP
Family Song by Hoshino Gen
MAGIC by AAA
Just be yourself by Wa-suta

And now, my most favorite song of 2017 is– /drumroll;

.
.
.

01. Haiiro to Ao by Yonezu Kenshi ft. Suda Masaki
Ever since his album came out, I've been blasting it everywhere and playing every single track on loop. There sincerely wasn't a single track that I disliked. As much as I loved every song, Haiiro to Ao has to be my most favorite track from the album- and it's also my most favorite track of the year. I love how the instrumental felt fresh to me with the background digitized (?) vocals and the guitar. You can tell that this is definitely Yonezu Kenshi's style here. That sort of sound compliments their voices. Also, did I mention that Suda Masaki also sings in this and he's also just amazing!? Another thing I really like was the lyrics itself as it was story about two friends reminiscing on old times, now having drifted apart and gone separate paths. Even the music video goes along so well as it shows Kenshi and Masaki acting as the two friends and visiting the same place but at different times. I love the collaboration. I love this song. This is my song of 2017!

So that's my Top 20 Most Loved J-pop Songs of 2017!

What are your personal top songs for 2017?~ Whether it's top 10, 20, 30, 50? Just let me know in the comments and I'd love to read them~ So I'll see you all next year.

Until my next post, jyaa ne~

Comments

Popular Posts