Need a Song for Summer? Airi's Summer Playlist '18

Are you a fan of J-pop? Wanting to make your vacation great? Need some background music to play as a montage of aesthetic/fun clips of what you wanna do in summer start playing in your head? Don't worry, I gotchu fam. ☀

Remember like years and years ago (okay, maybe like three years) when I used to make seasonal playlist entries? Well they're kinda back in a way! W00T. For the longest time I've been wanting to get back into writing these kinds of posts, but I always wanted to improve them in some way. And I'll be honest, it was kinda of troublesome coming up with a good autumn or winter song. But summer? I hecking love summer, and there's so many bops for me (personally) that are all summer vibes.

So today, I'm going to share with you all some songs that I personally like to listen to for summer. There are a lot more summer-y songs out there that I just don't listen to a lot. These are just my personal faves, but I'll list more towards the end!
夏だよHONEY!! by 三浦涼介

Fight me, I don't care. Ever since this was released, I have listened to this song ever single summer without fail. Why? Because it's just that good. I still remember the first time I listened to this. Avex had just uploaded a preview on their channel and I was interested. Younger Airi would never know that since that day, she'd be hooked onto this song for life. It's incredibly catchy and fun. For me, it's the perfect song to just kick off the summer season and get hyped up. The lyrics are about just having the best summer ever, which is per-freaking-fect. I mean, I used the lyrics for my summer banner which features my precious puppy son - Nishime Shun.

the waveperfect summer by lol -エルオーエル-

Whatever you do, do not skip the music intros on this album. It transitions into the next song so nicely, oh my god. I'm such a sucker for these kinds of things, okay? In lol's album, the wave is such a nice intro and transitions so well into perfect summer – hence why I formatted the title like that. Just listen to the entirety of it, please. The ukulele in the intro gives it a more mellow feel before you jump into the upbeat tempo of the steel Caribbean drums of the main song. I feel in love with this song last summer and I was determined to bring it back this year.

✩ Want another summer song from lol? Try checking out blue ocean as well! 

Summer by 久石譲

After a flurry of idol-like songs, wouldn't you want a more calming instrumental? I really suggest listening to Joe Hisaishi's Summer. It's incredibly pretty, relaxing, captures the mellow feeling of summer. From previous playlist entries, I've never really included just pure instrumentals but I want this to be the start. Plus, you probably already heard of him because this is the same composer that created OSTs for your favorite Studio Ghibli films and his song was used for Hanyu Yuzuru's 2016-2017 free program 'Hope & Legacy'.

真剣SUNSHINE by Hey! Say! JUMP

Would you believe that I used to hate this song? Me either, but as time progressed- I actually ended up loving this song a lot. Granted, I'm still slightly iffy with the odd music video. However, it's still a very vibrant and cute song about summer love. If I had to choose one summer song from JUMP, the first thing that would come to my head would be this song. Unless, like, Johnny's decides to give them a tropical house song to do (please give them something new to experiment with).

Summer Madness by 三代目J Soul Brothers

After sharing idol after idol song (please don't blame me, for a good majority of my life- idols have been my main bubble of Japanese artists), here is a nice electro dance song to play at parties and hype you up. It's a song that gives off more mature, cooler vibes. Ever since I first listened to it, I've always wanted to put it on my playlist but somehow- I never did. But now, it's here and I'm sharing it all with you guys. Personally, I like listening to more EDM and tropical house during the summer so this song really fits that mood.

愛tears by Nissy

I've been mentioning tropical house for the past two songs and I swear to god- this is why. I like the genre because the overall sound really captures of the mood of summer for me. At least from my perspective, not a lot of Japanese songs have picked up on this trend. w-inds did amazing with it but their songs don't fit the summer mood. But then Nissy came out with this song- and oh my god, it's amazing. It's very a Nissy song but with a slight tropical house-like backing. /s u m m e r  v i b e s/

Quick note: If you know more Japanese artists that picked up tropical house aside from w-inds or Tokyo Girls' Style, let me know. I'd really want to check them out and expand out of my bubble.

もう 我慢できないわ〜Love ice cream〜 by モーニング娘。

And now we're back to sharing more idol songs. Hear me out, this is a very legitimate reason why this song is on here. Name one food that you associate with summer aside from the aesthetic pineapple, coconut, and watermelon. That's right– ice cream. It's hot outside and wouldn't you be in the mood for something refreshingly cold? This is perhaps one of my favorite (and in my opinion, one of the better) Morning Musume tracks as of recently. Cute, fun, and it's about just wanting to have ice cream. You honestly can't get more summer than that.

✩ Want another food/drink theme song? Wa-suta's Tapioca Milk Tea!! Cuz I love bubble tea.

エビバディ by Da-iCE

The absolute kings of releasing summer songs. Honestly, this playlist wouldn't really be complete with a song from this group and I had such a hard time choosing. There's such a good handful of songs that could be perfect like the energetic Paradive or the sweet-sounding Kimi Iro. However, Everybody would have to be one of my most favorite tracks from them. It's a song that gets you hyped up and want to dance. Also, I also love the sort of electronic sound the song has.

✩ Seriously, go listen to Da-iCE. Start with Paradive.

打上花火 by DAOKO×米津玄師

Did y'all really think I would write this playlist without the biggest hit of 2017? There was no way that this song wasn't going to be included okay? And I did mention that this is a good song to play during the summer. It feels very lovely and fresh with the vocals not being too overpowering (if that's the right word to say, it's not soft but not too powerful. It's a good balance between both). There are so many covers of this song but my favorite would have to be Kobasolo's featuring Harutya and Irai Ryo. Harutya and Ryo's vocals, added with Kobasolo's arrangement which feels slightly more on the acoustic side, gives the song a more mellow feel for summer.

ロールプレイングゲーム by そらまふうらさか

I'm gonna be real with you all. As much as summer is the time to be aesthetic™ and go traveling, I'm still a social loser. Most of my time will be spent in my room, scrolling through Tumblr or writing fanfics on my laptop. And what else will I also be doing? Playing RPG's. I do most of my gaming over the summer so adding this song is more a personal choice on my part. Still- it's an incredibly fun song with funny lyrics. Plus, the music video for this is colorful and cute. For people who like their songs to be more anime-like, you might like this too!

Front Memory by 鈴木瑛美子×亀田誠治

My current jam. I've been blasting this song nonstop for the past week. Help me. A lot of summer songs, or songs with summer vibes, are usually more upbeat and cheerful in terms of tone/message. However, I have my usual melancholy days as well and there's been a lot of rain where I'm living now (which is weird). So this song personally suits the atmosphere of those more slow or rainy summer days for me. I know there's probably a good amount of people who love the original by Shinsei Kamatte-chan; however, when I listened to it years ago- I didn't really like the lyrics so much. So when I heard that a new cover was released, I was hooked.

No.1 by Fiima

How are Fiima gone??? (well they're on a hiatus but their website is gone) No, I want more music from them! I slept on the group and when I finally get into them they're gone. Why must this happen to me? Back to the point- I like to think of this song that could be played all year round. Spring, s u m m e r, fall, winter. That's one reason why I included this song. Another reason is that I really like how mellow the song is for those slow, summer nights. Plus the use of autotune reminds me of lol a bit, just a bit. This song is quite catchy and my favorite part would be the chorus.

Sea Sand Sunnyday and 白い三日月 and Aqua by Juliet

For the longest time ever, I've been sleeping on this girls and I regret everything. My pathetic excuse for not listening to them before was because I wasn't much of a fan of their earlier works. I knew they existed but I didn't bother to follow them. And then, just by chance - I listened to Shiroi Mikazuki. Holy fxcking shxt, their recent music is so good. I absolutely love the vocals, they sound amazing and harmonize so well. They've released a handful of songs with summery vibes. These three are just my most favorite tracks from them. Ugh, I'm in l o v e. And what a perfect way to end my playlist, with songs from my personal summer queens.

So those are just the main chunk of my summer playlist, the songs that I've listened to a lot over the years with the exception of a few. Typically, my playlist will change to add in new songs that's released for the next three months and any new summer song that's released way too late will be moved to next year's playlist. Hopefully, you all end up liking some of the songs I recommended. However, don't fret- I added in a few more suggestions right below!

What are your tastes in J-pop?~

Fan of Hello! Project?
• Matsuura Aya's Tropical Koishiteru or Yeah! Meccha Holiday
• Berryz Koubou's Natsu Remember You or Maji Good Chance Summer
• Morning Musume's Genki Pika Pika or A Gonna or Are You Happy?
• ºC-ute's Natsu Doki Lipstick (Yajima Maimi solo)
• PINK CRES.' crescendo album (personal fave is Summer wonderland)
• Suzuki Airi's Do me a favor album

Don't mind the 48/46 family?
• Look up any 48 A-side that features bikinis in some way.
• Nogizaka46's Hadashi de Summer or Natsu no Free & Easy

Songs by AAA :D
Wake up! single
Natsumono single
Beat Together (b-side for No Way Back)
LOVER 
777 ~We Can Sing a Song!~
Hurricane Riri, Boston Mari
• Uno Misako's Doushite Koishite Donna or Seaside Mermaid

Cutesy boy groups?
• Sexy Zone's Seaside Love
• DISH//'s Saisho no Koi ~Motetakute~
• BOYS AND MEN's Ho wo Agero!
• MAG!C☆PRINCE's Summer Love

Boy groups more on the cooler side?
• EXILE THE SECOND's YEAH!! YEAH!! YEAH!! or Acacia
• MADKID's Summer Time
• THE RAMPAGE's Fandango
• GENERATIONS' F.L.Y BOYS F.L.Y GIRLS (can i rec y.m.c.a too? cuz i like their cover)
• BLACK M!LK's MUKATSUKI
• ONE N' ONLY's I'M SWAG

More cutesy girl groups (outside of Hello! Project and 48/46 family)?
• Juliet's 7th Summer album.
• 9nine's Natsu wanna say love U
• Momoland's Bboom Bboom -Japanese ver.-
• TWICE's Wake Me Up
• Houkago Princess' Atsu wa Natsui! or Seishun Mermaid
• E-girls' Anniversary!! or E.G. Summer Rider

Girl groups that slay the summer?
• E-girl's Show Time or Rydeen ~Dance All Night~
• FAKY's Candy or SUGA SWEET
• Happiness' Holiday or GOLD

Need a summery ballad?
• Shida Summer Arai Summer's Anna ni Suki Datta Summer
• Suda Masaki's Machigai Sagashi

Solos? I got you (co-ed list)
• Nishino Kana's Have a good day or Pa or I Love You
• Hamasaki Ayumi's Boys and Girls or Blue Bird
• Yonezu Kenshi's Peace Sign or Umi no Yuurei
• Dean Fujioka's Echo
• Matsushima Sou's Mermaid
• Suda Masaki's Mita Koto mo Nai Keshiki
• Marius Yo's Deja-vu
• RIRI's Stay (Japanese cover)
• Mii's What you say
• Mrs. GREEN APPLE's Romanticism

Fan of anime or vocaloid (co-ed)
• HoneyWorks' Tokyo Summer Sessions (ft. CHiCO) (i love kobasolo's cover)
• UVERworld's ODD FUTURE
• Hatsune Miku's Planetarium and Summer Idol (ft. Kagamine Rin)

I know there's a lot more summer songs out there, but this is just the ones that come up at the top of my head. If there's a song that you like that's not listened here, feel free to comment! Also, tell me what's your summer playlist~ Until my next post, jyaa ne~

Comments

Popular Posts