From S/mileage to ANGERME ... wait, what?


So recently, I just came home from school and before I do my homework, I thought that I'd do this short quick post about the recent name change for a band previously known as S/mileage. The group has graduated from S/mileage and became ANGERME. Wait, what?

Apparently, the new group name for them will from now on be ANGERME ... I honestly don't know what to say about this. I recall the name while passing through FaceBook on my phone earlier at school. I didn't pay no mind to it and thought that it was just another name for a concert tour? I didn't read the post carefully, okay? It wasn't until Chiima's blog post popped up on FaceBook and other H!P stuff on FaceBook did I notice the new name change.

I'll be frank — initially, I did not like this new name for the group. To me, S/mileage has always been a bit of a very peppy and happy group. It was always flowers, rainbows, and smiles. I was already satisfied with their band name, but I do understand that things have changed and thus the band kinda needs a new image. I understand that and I can tolerate the name change. However, to think that this new band name is ANGERME ... actually disappoints me. This name is a bit ... /sigh;

The name literally says ANGER ME. In my opinion, I can only imagine rock bands taking on such a name.Yes, I do understand the origins of their name band name. It's supposedly a combination of the french words for angel (ange) and tear (larme). Put the two words together and ... voila! You get ANGERME. While it seemed like a good idea (the two french words ... SEPARATELY), this inevitably turned out to be a big flop. How unfortunate.

I won't completely rant out about it. What's done is done. We can't force the agency to go through the process and change their name again. After contemplating about it in Honors Biology class earlier, I have come to tolerate the new name. It still somewhat bugs me in a way. I'm now quite neutral about the new group name now. I don't necessarily hate it nor do I love it either.

Honestly, in my opinion, this is how they should have went with the group name. If they do wanted to use the French terms, ange and larme, they should've spelled it as Angelarme. Yes, it's a bit more weirder ... but in my opinion, it's a bit more tolerable than ANGERME. Also, if I were to make up their group name using those two terms (angel/ange & tear/larme) ... I would've been straight forward and make their new group name; ANGEL TEARS. I believe it's a bit of a more prettier name and has a more gentle touch it.

From now on, despite their new group name, I will honestly still refer to the band as S/mileage. It will take awhile for the new band name to grow onto me. Also, to be honest ... just for organization purposes on iTunes, I will list them under Smileage as always. /whacked; Well, honestly that's it for this post. I just wanted to get this short entry done before I start my homework. Again, I now consider myself a bit neutral concerning this.

Until my next post, jyaa ne~

Comments

  1. So many of us fans became a bit... well, angry at this XD It feels really direct and harsh as a name when you read it, though apparently when its pronounced Anjurumu) it's quite pretty in sound. Still, the style of the romanized letters is very blunt and hard, and feels disgusting XD

    That said, I am over the name itself now; it's become a pun to me, and every time I use the word angry in a post or something, I may use ANGERME as a term because it's so... well, easy to make fun of XD

    ANGERME, the angriest we shall ever see once-upon-a-time-S/mileage. I'm gonna miss their original name, but eh. This sucky new one is fun to mess around with~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts