Airi's Top 30 Most Loved J-pop songs of 2018!

It's the most wonderful time of the year~ Another year has ended, filled with countless new songs. I've been particularly bad at blogging, as always. However, I would never miss not posting my top J-pop songs of each year. This is, after all, one of my favorite entries to write ever. So let's get started, shall we?~

30. Anniversary by TAOTAK
Barely squeezing into this year's top thirty is the unexpected Tsuchiya Tao and Kitamura Takumi collaboration! Personally for me, I only know of Takumi as he's been in quite of number of dramas and is a member of Dish//. Tao? Well, she's the face of almost every shoujo manga live adaption (P to JK, Ani ni Aisaresuguite Komattemasu, Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Orange, Aozora Yell, etc). However, I didn't know that they actually collaborated on the theme song of their upcoming live-action Harumatsu Bokura. The song is actually a pleasant surprise and I'm impressed with Tao's vocals! Okay, granted she's not the most amazing vocalist out there but I would've never taken for her to be a singer whatsoever. Takumi's and Tao's vocals compliment each very well to create a sweet and warming tune. For me, it's quite catchy and easy on the ears. I've first listened to this song on a really bad day (for me) and the light-hearted feeling of the song did help cheer me up a bit.

29. タピオカミルクティー by わーすた
It's a hecking song about boba. How could I possibly dislike this song? Though personally, due to my slight lactose intolerance, I'm more of a fruity green tea type of a person. There's still tapioca nonetheless. While I'm personally not a huge dedicated fan of Wa-suta, I've always found their discography to be colorful and fun. I love their concepts, which can be eccentric at times but somehow give a unique twist on them. Tapioca Milk Tea was such a fun song to listen to during the summer, considering how often I did boba runs for my family. Overall, the song has become one of my all time favorites from the group.

28. アイデア by 星野源
I still haven't finished watching Hanbun, Aoi yet. I'm sorry. But hey! The theme for the asadora is so nice. It's an actual bop and I would never skip it whatsoever. Hoshino Gen is at it again when it comes to releasing catchy songs. What I like about Idea is how it has a sort of rhapsody element to it. It's not a rhapsody whatsoever, but here me out. You're introduced to the usual mellow band sound that Hoshino is known for, then it starts switching to a more synthesizer sound, we get into a raw acoustic afterwards, and finally we finished with the band sound once more. The different sounds gives it that rhapsody element, but it still flows together. It doesn't feel "choppy" for the lack of a better term. Now, I know there are a handful of people that don't like the random changes in sound but I personally think it's what makes it unique.

27. ガラスを割れ! by 欅坂46
I'm not that big on the whole 48 family, since their music isn't really my cup of tea (as a Vietnamese... I still can't believe SGO48 exists). However, I do like Nogizaka46 and Keyakizaka46 a lot more. I feel like Garasu wo Ware! came at a good time during my life. I was at a sort of low point in my life due to my academics and this song helped motivate me to continue to work harder. It helped give me some inspiration to like get my butt out of bed and actually do something, to do anything. Honestly, I've started listening to the song again much recently as I've mentally reached another low, low point in my life (can't wait for another new year).

26. BLUE by NEWS 
There is just something about NEWS and FIFA that goes so well together. Four years ago, I loved ONE -for the win-. This year, when they released BLUE... Wow, I didn't expect to love a song so much. Compared to their previous FIFA song, it's not as super cheery and upbeat. However, there is a more stronger and evident feeling of power in this song. Another thing I've loved when listening to this song was the subtle traditional Japanese sound (I don't know the name of the traditional Japanese instrument was called, I'm sorry) during the chorus. The traditional instruments does become more obvious during the bridge. BLUE has definitely become one of my more favorite songs from the group.

25. COSMIC☆HUMAN by Hey! Say! JUMP
Honest to God, I never thought that this song would even make it to the top thirty. This was not a love at first listen scenario. This song grow onto me over time. After Precious Girl, I thought that I would never love another JUMP A-side the same way again. It's still true, but this song really did grow onto me. Every time this song would come up, I can't help but move my body a bit - especially during the beginning "Na na na na na~" It's quite a fun song to listen to, and I love that Inoo was given more focus (considering that this is the theme song for his drama). I think he did a fantastic job and this song works quite well with his vocals.

24. REVIVER (Premium Symphony remix) by MY FIRST STORY
Whoever came up with idea for MFS to release an album of just symphony/orchestra remixes of their songs... You are one motherfxcking genius. You might not know me but I'm sucker when a pop or even a rock song gets an orchestra remix. There's just something about it. It makes me feel both classy but hyped at the same time. Reviver was a part of last year's top J-pop songs list. Of course, it would have to make its appearance again here in its Premium Symphony remix. Although, I was debating whether to put Kyogen NEUROSE considering that I love that song just as much. At that point, I just had to go with whatever had more listens. Now, would it be too much to ask for a Premium Symphony remix of Shuuen Requiem, Black Rail, and Kono Sekai de Ichiban no Shiawase Mono ni wa Suru Koto Nado Dekinai Kamo Shirenai Kedo....

23. By Your Love by 鈴木愛理
IT'S MY GIRL. MY FAVORITE GIRL OUT OF HELLO! PROJECT (equal with my other best girl, Kudo Haruka. I still love you, Duu, so much). Finally, Airi has released her solo album and I loved every track from it. However, Be Your Love would have to be my favorite out of all of them. It's the song I continue going back to, the first song I would want to listen to when I pull up the album. I just really love the EDM that was incorporated into the track. Although, this is probably just me, there was also a slight rock sound to it which really helps make the song stand out too. On an unrelated note, I love that start again was the last song of the album - to show that this is the new chapter of her life. I'm really looking forward to Airi's next album or single.

22. Over "Quartzer" by 末吉秀太 ft. ISSA
Is Zi-o the best rider series out there? Eh... To be honest, I can't get that attached to the characters nor to the story at all. I'm kinda only there for the memes and the guest appearances of previous riders. You know, for once, it might not be Decade's fault (if you're a KR fan, you'll get this). However, if there's one thing I can admit is that the opening theme is such a banger. Oh my hecking god. For every episode that has aired so far, I can skip through the episode. However, I will never skip the opening theme. I love the EDM sound, I love Shuta and ISSA's vocals. Ugh, it's too catchy and I couldn't resist. Definitely one of my favorite Rider themes out there.

21. What –Japanese ver.– by Dreamcatcher 
Compared to other years, I've started listening to K-pop less since not a lot of the songs released recently were my cup of tea. However, since the debut of the group, Dreamcatcher has never disappointed me. I really love the darker concepts they go for and the pop-rock sound they incorporate. I always keep saying this whenever they release something new: "This is my favorite. No, this is my favorite now." Honestly, for their Japanese debut, they couldn't have a chosen a better song. While What doesn't sound any different from their previous works, there's just something enticing about it that I can't describe– it's on the tip of my tongue. Damn, I played the original Korean version so much during October.. Someone help me.

20. U.S.A by DA PUMP
Behold, one of the most iconic songs of 2018. They even made a game out of this. I finally have a J-pop song to play during the Fourth of July. Honestly, U.S.A is just a very fun song to listen to. It's just fun. And that eurobeat though.. Damn. I honestly don't know what to add to this other than that this song is just extremely catchy and fun to listen to. I'm constantly just rocking my head to the beat whenever this song comes on. Personally, as a girl born and raised in Amurica, the only thing missing to make this song truly about the country is the sound of the bald eagle screaming in the background or a rock sample of the national anthem inserted somewhere.

19. トリコ by Nissy
This song is just purely cute and has a fun, light-hearted feeling to it. Too effin' cute to resist. /proceeds to do toriko dance;

18. BANGER NIGHT by Hey! Say! JUMP
Since the beginning of time, there's been a huge JUMP x EDM void in my heart. This song has helped made the void smaller. This is also another song that took a few listens for me to actually love it. From my observation, there's a quite a handful of fans that don't really like it due to it sounding way too processed or they just prefer the usual band sound. Just for me, I'm living for this. It has perhaps became one of my most favorite songs from the group. The bridge after the second chorus is my favorite part, to be honest. I guess you could say that this song is quite a "banger," eh? EH? GET IT? /whacked; I'm sorry, I'll see myself out.

17. 輝夜に願いを by 放課後プリンセス
Can mafumafu just produce all of Houkago Princess' songs please? Thank you. When I first heard that he was creating their latest A-side, I really wondered how that'll sound like. Boy, he probably created the greatest song of theirs... ever. Fight me on this. Kaguya ni Negai wo has elements of a previous song of his and Soraru called Shikioriori ni Tayutaite, another song which I also L O V E. What I really like what he's done is that usually Nana's voice is nasally but doesn't sound out of place with this song. Whenever her voice pops up on other songs, I'm just– /sigh; I'm sorry, she's not my favorite vocalist but for once I was able to tolerate his vocals. Overall, probably the best song I've ever heard from the group. I love the pop-rock sound incorporated with some traditional instruments in it. Is this me being biased due to mafumafu's influence on the song? Maybe. However, I've listened to this song more than a lot of their other songs combined.

16. 無限未来 by Perfume
Have I ever told you guys just how much I love the Chihayafuru live-action trilogy? Honestly, it's one of the manga live-adaptions that I really love and it works well. What I got from Mugen Mirai was a there was a sense of wistfulness? Whimsical-ness? Everything just flows quite well with each other. When reading the lyrics of the song, the general theme is about moving forward. Yes, this song doesn't sound that different when you compare it to their previous Chihayafuru track FLASH (another song which I love so much). Yet, this song takes it to a new level.. I feel a sense of maturity in this, not in EDM sense, but when looking at it overall. The lyrics, the music video, certain drops that feel timed. I'm also looking at how this fits into Chihayafuru –Musubi–, which has the characters maturing in a way. It's not as chaotic as FLASH, but more eloquent for the lack of the better term? There's something else about it that I can't describe into words, but it really draws to me.

15. Do it again by Yamada Ryosuke
Whoever came up with the idea to have all of the members do solo songs for this album... They're a genius and someone in the agency should give that person a raise. Do it again has become my most favorite solo from Yamada as of yet. When looking at the lyrics, yes it's quite sensual. Yet, I'm really liking this whole mature route that the group is going overall. I've seen this song be compared to Zayn Malik's Pillow Talk once in a comment. And when looking at the overall genre of the song, yeah it does sound similar as it's utilizing that alternative R&B. It's one of my favorite songs on the album and I'm quite impressed with Yamada.

14. Bubble Gum by Arioka Daiki
I'm sorry Ryosuke. I love you, but Daiki has the catchier solo song. That soft EDM... I just can't resist and I find myself listening to it more and more. Now, can someone give this man a solo single that has a full studio version of Kimi to Boku no Future on it PLEASE?

13. What You Say by Mii
If it wasn't for those top J-pop rankings that I watch occasionally on YouTube, I would've never known that this song even existed. This song was completely unexpected but not an unwelcome summer bop. Honestly, if I had discovered the song sooner, I would've listed it as a part of my summer playlist on my blog. What You Say has the same EDM sound that I love but I love how it helps enhance that fun summer party feeling to it as well. Well, at least it'll be guaranteed on my summer playlist next year.

12. LA FIESTA by THE RAMPAGE
Man, I wished this song was released earlier this year. This was such a fun summer-like song, one that you'll hear at parties or at clubs. The moment that I first heard the chorus: I was just hooked. I couldn't stop listening to it. 

11. 笑顔のループ by AAA
Trust AAA to release another beautiful song. I personally love the music video and the cover album: it's has that really calming rustic aesthetic to it. The music video is something you can take out of a Pinterest board. Okay, back to the song. I haven't really liked their more recent songs. However, Egao no Loop comes out as a sort of breath of fresh air. Of course, this is not something new. It has some elements of previous pop ballads like Sayonara no Mae ni. What I like about this song is just how calming, how pretty the melody is. It feels relaxing like it's healing me. This is a song I really needed considering how hectic my life was recently.

10. ノーダウト by Official髭男dism
Ah, yes. Behold, one of the most iconic J-drama themes of this year. Anyone who has watched Confidence Man JP would know what this song is. Personally, I can't comment on the lyrics since I haven't read a translation so know that I'm basing this on the overall sound and feel of the song. Damn, this compliments the vibe of the drama so hecking well. The drama is a comedy: it's fun, eccentric at times, sometimes wild but clever. This song also has a similar vibe: fun, eccentric, wild. It's so incredibly catchy and became an instant favorite of mine.

By the way, anyone who hasn't watched the drama yet should go watch it. It's so funny yet also clever as well. Thank fxcking lord there's going to be a movie, I'm looking forward to it!

09. ロングホープ・フィリア by 菅田将暉
When you think of Boku no Hero Academic themes, you'd think of the more hyped up songs like Peace Sign or ODD FUTURE. However, similar to the other endings of the anime, the song falls onto the more mellow side of the spectrum. However, despite that, it doesn't make it a bad song. This may be me being biased for Masaki; however, I believe that this is the best ending so far. When looking at the lyrics, I really like how uplifting it is about friendship. Personally for me, it's one of Masaki's best songs. However, there is one more on this list that I just love so much more.

08. Accident by MY FIRST STORY
They're back at it again with a new single! Ever since the news came out, I've been looking forward to this. When looking at the lyrics of the song, I really like how MFS continues to hit home for me when it comes to certain parts. From my interpretation of ACCIDENT, it's about the narrator just being done. They're sick of everything and they're going to do things their way. I also want to do a mini shoutout to the music video. It's graphic in terms of blood and murder, but it really makes me think about the possible storyline behind it. Don't watch it if that's not you think, but I'm a mystery fan so I think it's quite interesting.

07. Flamingo by 米津玄師
Anata Fla-Fla-Fla-Flamingo~ ♪ /proceeds to do intricate hand movements; So the meaning of the song refers back to the nature of female flamingos – they're found with new males constantly. The story of the song is based on that, in which the narrator sings about a girl he loves but she's moves onto another girl easily - leaving him heartbroken and jealous. It's a very interesting song and this is something I would expect from Yonezu. The overall feeling is whimsical in a sense. Sure, there are a lot of other songs from him that I like more. However, this is pretty damn good.

06. レイメイ by さユり & MY FIRST STORY
God damn, one of the best collaborations by far. nano, I love you. SAVIOR OF SONG was a bop. However, Reimei just stole your crown. I waited so long to finally have the full version and I feel so hecking satisfied.

⋅⋅⋅ Honorable Mentions ⋅⋅⋅

Black Christmas and 四季折々に揺蕩いて  by After The Rain
Strawberry Feels by BIGMAMA
Moment by 鈴木愛理
浮世艶姿桜 by KEN☆Tackey
ハイビスカス by ナオト・インティライミ
Sincerely by TRUE
Relax & Chill by Nissy
エフピーエス by そらまふうらさか
細雪 by 和楽器バンド
WITH by Ms.OOJA
Real Heart by 松田るか
Echo by Dean Fujioka
Remember Me –Japanese ver.– by OH MY GIRL
Memoria by G-Friend
I'M SWAG and Sexy Beach Party Yes!! by ONE N' ONLY
Zange Mairi by flower
ODD FUTURE by UVERworld
Y字路の途中 by モーニング娘。'18
You Made Me by TeddyLoid ft. ちゃんみな
ルパンレンジャー VS パトレンジャー by Project.R
眼鏡の男の子 by BEYOOOOONDS
Aqua by Juliet
Doctor by ちゃんみな
月のもう半分 by AIKI & AKINO from bless4
もし君を許せたら by 家入レオ
JAPONICA STYLE by SixTONES
輝いて ~My dream goes on~ by 田村芽実

I'll be honest with you guys here. I can't really choose a number one because I listen to these next five songs a shxt ton. The ranking keeps changing day by day and I've been thinking about what to do for weeks when creating this post. This has never happened to me in my entire history of blogging where I couldn't choose a clear #1. So, in no particular order, here are my top five most loved J-pop songs of 2018. 

think of you by lol-エルオーエル-
I don't care if this song was released in like December of 2017, I'm including it here. This is by far my most favorite song from lol ever. There's a part of me that thinks – why didn't I notice this song earlier? Why did it take a live-action film to get me introduced to this song? My answer is I don't know. It was literally love at first listen. I downloaded the song immediately and continued playing it through the entire year. And personally for me? I don't think I'll stop listening to it anytime soon.

さよならエレジー by 菅田将暉
With an incredibly catchy tune with emphasis on guitars, Sayonara Elegy has become my ultimate favorite song from Suda Masaki as of yet and one of my ultimate favorite J-dramas themes to date. Lyrics-wise, it is another love song with the singer/narrator dedicating it to their lover about the sadness and loneliness.

Lemon by 米津玄師
Yonezu Kenshi is back at it again with creating another hit, a beautiful one in fact. This song is probably one of the biggest J-pop hits of 2018, considering how long it remained on top of the streaming/digital charts. The overall melody and feel of Lemon is rather bittersweet/melancholic, as indicated by the lyrics. There's a sense of yearning, holding onto the memory of that one person that's been lost. The bittersweet tone of the song does compliment the drama, Unnatural. If you haven't watched it yet, do it. It's not your usual mystery or medical drama. It gets heavy and bittersweet, sometimes it hits home too. A beautiful drama paired with a beautiful track.

フロントメモリー by 鈴木瑛美子 & 亀田誠治
Here it is! The summer song of 2018! Holy shxt, I played this song so much over the summer.. even now. I've listened to the original song by Shinsei Kamattechan years ago; however, I never really got into it. Yet I've completely fallen head over heels with the new arrangement and don't get me started on the vocals. It's an unexpected but fresh take on the song, with a perfect sound balance between classic and pop. Another thing I love about the song is how there is a feeling of power to it, yet it also compliments slow and gentle rainy days. This song was also a case of love at first listen.

Bedtime Story by 西野カナ
You know you love a song so much when you revert back to the pre-2011 ways of downloading the full concept rip of a song. That is what happened to me with Nishino Kana's Bedtime Story. I watched the trailer for 3D Kanojo when it first came out.. I heard the song and I loved it. I know there's a good amount of people that really don't like how Kana's songs has been more childish and girly cute. However, I'm just taking it all in. I'm loving what I'm hearing. I waited months for this and I felt so satisfied when the single was finally released. When looking at the lyrics, it practically describes the love story between Tsutsun (a shy boy always at the girl's whim) and Iroha (a sort of wild girl). It's cute, it's lovely. Damn it, I can't stop listening to it whatsoever. Sorry Torisetsu, I have a new ultimate favorite from Nishino Kana now.

So those were my top thirty most love J-pop songs of 2018. What are your top songs of the year?~ Whether it's top 10, 20, 30, 50? Just let me know in the comments and I'd love to read them! Happy New Year everyone, see you next year~

Comments

Popular Posts