Airi's Top 30 Most Loved J-pop songs of 2019! ♡

I swear to God, I'm alive. 2019 was just really something and I promise I'll explain exactly what happened to me in another post (and link it here). However, now is not the time for me to be moping about my personal life. It's ♪ the best time of the year~ ♪ in which I share my favorite J-pop songs of the year. I will never miss this, and I don't plan on stopping whatsoever. I will continue doing this forever and ever and ever.
30. 人生Blues by モーニング娘。'19
I'm going to be completely honest. Ever since Duu had graduated, my interest in Morning Musume as a whole declined. I don't think that's surprising; a good handful of people probably goes through this whenever their favorite graduates. However, their 2018 singles were just.. boring and forgettable.  Even if you force me to sit down and listen through their songs from 2018, I can't do it. Granted, their 2019 single started out the same thing for me. Seishun Night was just.. meh. It took me a while but Jinsei Blues grew on me. I like the EDM arrangement. The chorus was a lot catchier and surprisingly, I kinda like the whole "Balance balance~" and "All right all right~" bits.

29. 一か八か by PassCode
I do like the original song; however, I love PassCode's cover even more. While the overall song isn't that different, what I love about PassCode's cover is that new EDM arrangement. It's a lot more catchier in my opinion. It feels refreshing to listen to while still having that original rock vibe. I especially like the tiny piano bit before the second chorus. While Re:versed's version really captures the whole mad/chaotic feeling of Kakegurui, PassCode's just feels more put-together and cohesive as a whole song.

28. Dark Knight by ONE N' ONLY
When you want you a good fix of just pure EDM pop music, ONE N' ONLY is the way to go. This has become one of my more favorite tracks from the group. Yes, the song is pretty noisy.. but it's a good kind of noise? I don't get tired of it at all nor does it get too overwhelming personally. This is the song I would listen to when I just don't care, I want to dance and let all of my energy out. Also, I really do think these these EDM songs – especially Dark Knight – have become ONE N' ONLY's style. Though I'm curious to see if they'll do something different in 2020.

27. フレスベルグの少女~風花雪月~ by Caro
Hi. You may not know this but I love Fire Emblem. Also, Three Houses is the best game of the year. Oh my god, the soundtrack is amazing and the theme song is just /chef's kiss; I love both the English and the Japanese version. However, I personally like the Japanese version more because I feel like Caro's vocals suit the song better. The song is amazing to me considering that it not just have a serene feeling to it but epic as well. The lyrics from my personal interpretation are quite bittersweet, which fits the game so well. I love it, I love it, I love it. #BlueLions
26. 逆境のフィロソフィー by Raon Lee & コバソロ
My two favorite cover artists collaborating together? M I N D B L O W N.
THE COLLABORATION I NEVER SAW COMING BUT NEEDED.
That's it. That's all I'm going to say.

25. Deja-vu (Japanese ver.) by Dreamcatcher
Ever since Dreamcatcher has debuted, they have never disappointed me with their music. When they originally released the album in Korean, I was completely in love with it. Deja-vu became my most favorite track from them (I'm sorry What and YOU AND I). Yet, to my surprise, they also had a Japanese version of the song. I'm completely in love, okay? This collaboration with King's Raid is probably the best thing that happened because the entire album slaps. While the song does have Dreamcatcher's signature anime-rock sound (especially in the chorus), I love that it has that enticing yet whimsical feeling in other parts of the song.

24. Break it down by 鈴木愛理
My girl is back with another album. While I personally don't like it as much as Do me a favor, the overall sound of this album feels like it's a tribute to her time in Buono! with the strong focus on band music. Out all of the tracks, Break it down is my favorite. It's collaboration between Airi and Official Hige Dandism, whose been on the rise this year. It's cute and funky~ The chorus kinda reminds me of Fake Me Fake Me Out by Da-iCE just a little bit, which I think it's interesting. Imagine if the two songs were in a mash-up together~

23. 海の幽霊 by 米津玄師
Is this one of my most favorite tracks from Yonezu Kenshi? No, there are other songs that I love so much more. Is that song bad? Absolutely not. This song is still just as amazing as others. Umi no Yuurei was a perfect summer song, in my opinion. The song itself gives me very whimsical vibes. I also love how his vocals were a bit processed in the song, making it appear as if he's singing in the water. It really does add to that under the sea (obviously) image that comes with the track. Honestly, Yonezu Kenshi has never disappointed me at all. I'm super excited to see what he'll do in 2020.

22. Cheers by Mrs. GREEN APPLE
Namanurui juice de kanpai~♪ This year had been Mrs. GREEN APPLE's year. They're just releasing one good song after another. Cheers is definitely one of my favorite tracks from their latest album. It's super cheerful, fun, light-hearted. It's a song that really gets me into a good mood despite the fact that the lyrics can be a quite bittersweet actually. When reading the translation of the lyrics, my interpretation of the song is just to look forward and toast to a better future despite all of the terrible things that have happened. Seeing this contrast between the lyrics and the cheerful composition (and colorful music video) really intrigues me.

21. わたし革命 by カレッジ・コスモス
An unexpected favorite from the group~ Considering how this year turned out for me personally, it was a song that really motivated me. A lot of the lyrics really touched me because that's just how I am in real life: weak-minded, being afraid to stand out, the fear of speaking irresponsibly. I honestly do wish that this song came out earlier because it really does help motivate me to do better (damn, I really hit rock bottom early this year). However, it's still released and I'm sure to listen to this a lot more whenever I'm feeling a bit down. The sound is very sweet and up-lifting. It's definitely one of the better tracks from College Cosmos (although, they don't have many songs to begin with).

20. 恋はアッチャアッチャ by アンジュルム
When Angerme released this song, I was pleasantly surprised. Usually, I'm used to seeing Berryz Koubou release more - how do I say it - oriental sounding songs (cha cha SING, Genghis Khan). However, I think that Angerme did a pretty damn good job. It was a good J-pop that had a bit of an Indian/Bollywood sort of flair to the arrangement mixed with EDM. The vocals were great and wow– Momona with that solo line before the final chorus. That was my favorite part of the song; I found myself replying that part/starting from that part. It's super catchy and I definitely prefer this track of Yumemita Fifteen, which bored me to be honest.

19. Polaris by OH MY GIRL
Oh My Girl has been killing it this year. Similar to Dreamcatcher, they have not disappointed me whatsoever in the K-pop scene. I wasn't too enthusiastic about their Japanese releases because.. let's be real, most K-pop groups' Japanese releases are just badly translated versions of the original songs. However, Polaris was a pleasant surprise to me. The song felt very true to the group's style: sweet, ethereal, pretty. This song was released so late in the year yet I already love it so much. I have yet to see a translation of the song so I don't know exactly what story the lyrics will entail. However, I can already imagine it being sweet and romantic. The song really fits with the princess aesthetic which I'm an absolute sucker for.

18. 五番目の季節 (SSFWL Japanese ver.) by OH MY GIRL
Again, Oh My Girl at it again with releasing another great song. If you have the time to listen to the original in Korean, please do so. However, I do like the Japanese version. The lyrics and how it's sung isn't as awkward compared to other Japanese versions of K-pop songs. The Fifth Season is my all-time favorite track from the group.

17. Voice by Taeyeon
Continuing on with the K-pop female artists, we have Taeyon with Voice. Honest to God, I stumbled upon this song purely by chance and I love it. I'm not too much of a fan of the music video, but the song- the song. Where do I even begin? It's a given that Taeyeon's vocals are amazing. In addition, I just love the theme of the lyrics. It's about reminiscing about a lost love, wandering where they are, how they're still in the narrator's heart. /chef's kiss; Furthermore, I kinda associate this song with Fire Emblem Three Houses a lot because I listened to the song a lot while playing it. Also, I feel like this would be a good song for a Dimileth fic. I'm just saying. There are parts of it that remind me of Dimitri.

16. Escape by 鈴木愛理
This was such a strong A-side for Airi's first single. Everything about it was amazing. There's nothing else I could say, really. It's definitely one of my most favorite tracks from her by far.

15. Oh! my darling by 山田涼介
This year, we got another solo track from Yamada Ryosuke and I love it. I love this more than Do it again. (audience: /gasp;) Compared to his previous and more notable solo songs, I feel like Oh! my darling really suits Ryosuke the most. It's cheerful, it's fun, it's cute. It's everything that I ask for. Hey, as much as ask for JUMP to do more mature and sophisticated concepts, sometimes I want cute stuff to. When it comes to this single, a lot of people are raving over Last Dance. Sure, it's a good song too. However, I think that Oh! my darling was the star of this single. Hell, I bought CDs for the first time in years and I bought the Limited B (Ryosuke's version) before it was sold out on CDJapan.

14. 獣と薔薇 by Hey! Say! JUMP
Let's be real. When I saw the title of the song, I really thought I was going to get Beauty and the Beast themed. This was before any translation of the song came out, this was before any preview of the music video was released. This was just me and my fairytale-loving ass being super excited to have something Beauty and the Beast related along with JUMP. I didn't get it; however, that doesn't make me love the song any less. It's my favorite track on their newest album and I really do like the wild wolf aesthetic that they went for (good job Ryosuke). I have no complaints with the song at all. The music video, maybe but I'll talk about that at some other point.

13. Searching for The Ghost by ディーン・フジオカ
So this was the opening theme for Dean Fujioka's Sherlock adaption and I was instantly hooked. The entire feeling of the song is different from what I usually imagine from him. Granted, this is the same man who is famous for History Maker. So I was surprised and pleased to see how well he executed this style of song. I cannot imagine anyone else singing it, or performing it in general. If you're tired of History Maker, I recommend listening to this song.

12. 馬と鹿 by 米津玄師
It's Yonezu Kenshi. He has never disappointed me with a track. Must I say more?

11. A-RA-SHI : Reborn by 嵐  
The most amazing update I've ever heard to a song. Now, the original song is a classic. In my personal opinion, the original really encompasses what the 90s were. You had your pop, your rock, and finally your ballad. I absolutely love and is a sucker for the EDM arrangement. They updated new lyrics and added in more English – all to cater and appeal to more international listeners. I really do like that as Arashi's hiatus is approaching, they remade one of their most iconic songs. Plus, it's available for /streaming/

Okay, so this next section is my most favorite songs of the year. I love all of them so much and I can't definitely rank them from one to ten. Also, I'm feeling a bit sick so if I'm just not writing as much – I apologize in advance.


Attitude by Mrs. GREEN APPLE
My favorite track from the album, minus any existing tracks released as single prior. It's incredibly catchy, even more so than Cheers. I definitely recommend this song for people who wants to get into the band. I've been playing this song nonstop since it was first released.

黒い羊 by 欅坂46
Kuroi Hitsuji is Keyakizaka46's only single this year and yet it's still so strong. It's become my most favorite track from the group. When this song was first released, I cried. It literally hit me in the heart. I remember just seeing the translation for the song and thinking 'Yes, this is how I feel. Finally, some of my feelings described into words.' This was released during that low point in my life earlier this year and it honestly felt comforting seeing that there was a song that I relate to so much. Keyakizaka46's main A-sides are very good and never disappoint. However, I would recommend this song the most. It really holds a special place in my heart. 

Turning Up by 嵐
♪ Turning up with the J-pop~! ♪ When this song was first released and was revealed to be available internationally, this song literally took the world by storm (ayy, see what I did there?... Yeah, I'm lame). This is a song that really fuses Arashi's usual music style but with EDM. It's fun, it's catchy, it really makes you wanna get up and move. The lyrics incorporates more English in it to appeal to an international audience. I love everything about it.

絶対彼女 by 大森靖子 ft. 道重さゆみ
I definitely love this much more the original version. The new autotune/electro-pop arrangement just really enhances the song. It's cutesy, it's light, it's girlish. The song screams Sayu all over it. Sometimes, I just want a really cute song to help lift me up and this is it.

もう二度と by ECHOLL
Someone please give me the mp3 to the full version. Why must it only be available on Japanese iTunes and Line music? /cries; It's so beautiful and I can only rely on the short version posted on YouTube and some snippets posted on Twitter. Takumi's vocals are great as always, but the real star of the song was definitely Mackenyu. Yes, I'm biased towards him. However, his vocals are just so great (please do music on the side like Suda Masaki, please ;;)

まちがいさがし by 菅田将暉
A song written by Yonezu Kenshi and performed by Suda Masaki?? It's absolutely beautiful and I'm just /faints;

ハッピーエンド by 上白石萌音
Shoujo-manga, romantic, cute perfection. That's it.

BAD LOVE by AAA
It's honestly been awhile since I last liked an AAA track. Egao no Loop was pretty but I got tired of it quite easily. BAD LOVE really stood out to me and I like to think of this as the beginning of a new era in the group (especially with Naoya leaving). It's a different from what I usually hear from AAA as of recently. I don't know how to describe the feel of the song but it's a bit mature, sophisticated, cooler. Shinjiro really stood out to me in this song in terms of vocals along with Nissy.

Introduction by 女王蜂
An unexpected favorite this year! I never thought that I would love this song so much but I do. This is the first time I've listened to a song from Ziyouu-bachi (Queen Bee) and I'm obsessed with it. Not only is the song super catchy, but I just like how unapologetic the lyrics are in a sense. My interpretation of the lyrics is just that "This is who I am. Who are you to fucking stop me?" and I really like that message. My favorite part of the song was the chorus, but I've practically just memorized the entire song because of how much I played it (over 300+ times). I sing along to it, I constantly play the song. At least give it a chance~ Also, if you like Tokyo Ghoul, this was the theme for the live action Tokyo Ghoul S.

ロマンチシズム by Mrs. GREEN APPLE
This is my ultimate favorite song from Mrs. GREEN APPLE; the song that really solidified me into following the group. I've had this song constantly on repeat since it was first released.

Now with my top ten songs already listed, here are some other songs that I love but didn't quite make it into the ranking~


CATEGORY by ONE N' ONLY
必殺のコマンド by そらまふうらさか
the rest of the Attitude album by Mrs. GREEN APPLE
ガガガガガガガ by ゴールデンボンバー
BLUE SAPPHIRE by 登坂広臣
私を創るのは私 by アンジュルム
紅のドレス by Flower
ふわり、恋時計 by つばきファクトリー
麒麟の子 by Sexy Zone
1 • 2 • 3 by After the Rain
Fallin' Light (天使の梯子) by G-Friend
トウキョウ・コンフュージョン by PINK CRES.
Go Waist by BEYOOOOONDS
Pretender by Official髭男dism

So that's my top thirty songs of 2019. What is your ranking for the year? What are your favorite songs of the year? If you're still following this blog even after so much inactivity, thank you so much for reading. If you're new, also thank you for even making it this far in the entry and dealing with me rambling. I'll see you all next year. Happy New Year, everyone~ Until my next post, jyaa ne~


Comments

Popular Posts