AIRI'S WINTER TRIP '14 ☆ The Motherland: 10 Years Later and I'm Never Going Back!

OKAY, MAYBE I WILL GO BACK TO VIETNAM ONE DAY - FOR THE FOOD.
After two months, I finally got around to writing this. Lol.

Honestly, I find it really nice to come back to Vietnam after ten years. TEN YEARS. Some of my relatives and Vietnamese friends usually return to Vietnam after summer or every couple years. However, for me, it's only been ten years since I last returned to Vietnam. However, I came back at the worst time possible: VIETNAMESE NEW YEARS aka Tết.

So let me just start from the beginning from what I first arrived in Vietnam, I arrived in an 90˚F country wearing a wool sweater, jeans, and uggs. Hey, I was flying in from Japan which was cold - and luckily it was a few weeks before the blizzard occurred. It was freakin' hot when I arrived - especially in the airport since CROWDS of people are gathered outside. 

The minute I arrived at the hotel (which was around 11 pm, since I arrived at the airport at around 9pm), I ditched my uggs for sandals and I went out to Pho with my parents and my mom's friends. Yea, that's right! I ate Pho at 11 pm at night! And it was delicious Pho, I wanted to cry. Why can't they make Pho this good here in America? WAE. TELL ME THE SECRET RECIPE!

I celebrated my birthday in Vietnam; however, it was a bit mediocre. We didn't really have much a fun party since the only people invited were my mother's parents and their kids - which range from 4-8 years old. NONE OF MY PARENTS' FRIENDS' KIDS HAVE CHILDREN MY AGE. ;-; Well at least it was fun having small talk since they were all learning English. /when I spoke in my regular English, they were all surprised like O-O;

AND THEN AFTER THAT - A BAD THING HAPPENED. I WAS ADMITTED INTO THE HOSPITAL. At least two days after my birthday, my family and I went out to eat Hot Pot at Hoàng Yến with my aunt's brother and his family. We were all good friends. However, that same night that I ate Hot Pot - I was diagnosed with Severe Food Poisoning. I nearly died in Vietnam, oh my god.

I was bed ridden for a week and ate little to no food, and Vietnamese Medicine was not strong compared to American medicine. Luckily, my father was able to find the medicine that my doctor provided for us ahead of time. (My dad had a bad premonition that either my brother or I will get sick and asked my doctor for a whole bunch of medicine. Thank you, Dad) However, even after taking the medicine, I still didn't really get my appetite back until two weeks later.

I CAN'T EAT MOST OF THE DELICIOUS FOOD IN VIETNAM. T-T

Once I was better, my family and I as well as my father's best childhood friend and my mom's best childhood friend (two different familes, each with two sons), set out to Vung Tau and Ho Tram! We stayed in Vung Tau first for a day or so. We originally planned to stay at the Imperial Palace Hotel (however, I was sick so we canceled our reservation ... sorry mom and dad); however, instead we stayed at the Sammy Hotel which was right next door. I REGRET STAYING THERE. Worst Hotel in my Opinion, errr-

Staying in Ho Tram was a lot better, to be honest! All three families stayed at the Sanctuary Resort in Ho Tram and we rented a very large and BEAUTIFUL villa. Our backyard was the beach! Yea! We also had a cool seafood barbeque too! I also really had fun with Bi (pronounced as Bee), the eldest son of my father's best childhood friend. He was only eleven months younger than me, but he was still cool. Most of the night, we mostly laughed and watched music parodies on my laptop. He also really liked my English and kept encouraging me to say English only.

I'm in Vietnam, I want to speak more Vietnamese. I want to learn more and speak my mother tongue correctly! But people kept telling me to talk in English. And when I'm home in America, it's the opposite. What the-

So, as said before, I went back to Vietnam at the worst time EVAH! I came back right before New Years. I was really excited for New Years since I was looking forward to parties and festivals and all that. However, 99% of all restaurants and shops and malls were all closed! Talk about bad timing. Luckily, a few restaurants were opened. Btw, when I was in Vietnam, all I listened to was American music. ouo I guess it's because I surrounded by Vietnamese 24/7 at the moment, that I needed to hear some English in my ears. And back at home, it's the opposite.

I'M WEIRD, I KNOW.

Also, did you know that I nearly got ran over by motor bikes twice in Vietnam? In Vietnam, 90% of all people don't drive cars. They all drive motor bikes/scooters. Okay, Vietnam is like the third poorest country in the world, not everyone can afford a nice Acura or BMW. It was so scary! I was crossing the street (I looked both ways, I waited for the sign to light up that says I can across the street) and the people kept scooter-ing by me at fast speeds. After that, I lived in constant fear that I'll get run over by a scooter.

What else ... I love the Book Store in Vietnam! FAHASA, if I remember correctly! It was five stories tall and each had it's own individual level dedicated to one subject (first floor was regular Cooking Books, Manuals, etc. Second floor was children's books. Third floor was Manga and Young Adult. Forth Floor was School Books. And Fifth floor was gifts and stationary) People in Vietnam really LOVE Naruto, ESPECIALLY DORAEMON. I SAW SO MANY DORAEMON MANGA - HUNDREDS MAYBE. But I'm glad to see that Vietnam also really love Detective Conan! YEA!

So yea, that practically sums up my time in Vietnam after ten years. I was probably never come back, I'm so scared of getting Severe Food Poisoning again and Living in Constant Fear of Getting Ran Over by a Scooter. However, I really love this trip. I finally had a chance to experience city life in Saigon. And I got to see the old school and house where my father and mother used to live. (two different schools and houses, btw.) I also was able to see my Grand Aunt. She loves me and apparently when she carefully observed my nose and hands (superstition? err), she told me that I'll have a beautiful future (like I will have lots of money and that I won't need to work hard)

Superstition is weird ... owo.

So yea, that's all for this post! I finally finished it! Until next time, jyaa ne~
-------------------------------------
Song: "Paper Gangsta" by Lady Gaga
Mood: I'm Okay-ish ouo

Comments

Popular Posts