J-pop 30 Day Challenge ♡ Day Eight

Oops. I missed a day, oh well. It's day eight! Looking at today's question, it's very interesting. However, I know for sure that with my answer, I'm going to get killed. Sometimes I think that maybe I should've written AKB. Actually, I can give any answer and I could still have the possibility of fans coming after me.

Day 08 ♡ Now, give me a group/artist or a song that you think is way overrated. Explain.

For today's answer, I'm going to go with a song that's been trending a lot. I've seen it pop up a lot within my social bubble. It's an incredibly popular now, topping both Billboard and Oricon physical. From the entry banner, it should be obvious. Today, I will be talking about TWICE's Wake Me Up. Wait, wait. All you angry fans that are about to slam that keyboard, here me out first. Let me do some damage control before people start going on a witch hunt for me, considering how popular the song and group are.

1) This is purely my own opinion. If you don't think it's overrated, that's you. You do you!
2) I'm just talking about the song, not the group. Although, I have seen people call the group overrated too. Just my observation. I'm not saying that.

Now I got that out of the way, let's move onto my answer. For me, yeah I think Wake Me Up is pretty overrated. Song-wise: it's incredibly upbeat, peppy, happy-go-lucky. All of the girls sound very cheerful and into the music. Music video-wise: it's also equally cute. The girls are so pretty and I love the filter used to bring out the teals and peach tones. Is the best song that has ever graced my ears? No, not really. Is it my most favorite song out there? No. I personally couldn't get into the song; it's just not my cup of tea. It's not forgettable though, considering that I hear it at almost every boba shop I go to.

This song is cute and I can understand why it's trending, why so many people like it. Twice is incredibly popular worldwide and have a large, dedicated fanbase. With their Japanese songs, they're bringing their own twist on the cutesy idol song. The reason why I believe this song is overrated is because I feel like it's lacking. I can't get interested in it. There's something about it that feels generic, almost boring, and I know that there are better songs from the group out there. Personally for me, I prefer the B-side Pink Lemonade more (it's more catchier). The main A-side is just... I'm really bored of hearing it but I still see it and hear it so much online and off.

Also you'd be surprised just how much my cousins shove this song down my throat since it was released and tell me constantly how this song saved J-pop. And I'm here like "Okay, you guys like it. That's cool. But please, let me listen to my own music."

Also, have you seen their cover of I WANT YOU BACK (which will be used as the theme for Takeuchi Ryoma's Sensei Kunshu). Like w o w, I really like that cover! I also think the music video was cute and I seriously love the filter they used to bring out the warm tones and the teals too. Plus, I think it's cute that the group also collaborated with the cast of Sensei Kunshu for a video (I know Ryoma was tall... but he was towering over everyone, jesus). Now if there's a song from Twice that should be trending on the J-pop charts, it should be their cover. I'm just saying. That's my own opinion.

So yeah, I think Wake Me Up is overrated. For me personally, it's just very generic and I'm not interested. Yet, so many people within my bubble are raving about it. I'll admit, I'm getting tired of hearing about it. There are better songs out there- There are better songs from the group out there. Now just because I don't like it, doesn't mean that you are obligated to dislike it too. You do you. You all are free to like and dislike whatever. I'm just answering the question. Now, what is a group/artist or a song that you feel is overrated? Let me know!

Until my next post, jyaa ne~

Comments

Popular Posts