J-pop 30 Day Challenge ♡ Day Five

Editing this entry's photo was painful with how dark it is. I should've chosen a better photo but I really liked this one! /whacked;

Day 05 ♡ Your favorite lyrics (with translation if it's available)

Personally for me, I've read a handful of lyrics that do hit home for me. It really plays with my heartstrings or makes me really reflect/think. However, one of my favorite lyrics that I want to talk about today is Yonezu Kenshi's Haiiro to Ao, which also features my favorite Suda Masaki. This was my most favorite song from the past year and I still listen to the song a lot. It's one of my favorite tracks from BOOTLEG, what do you expect? I can't skip this track whatsoever.

Whenever I look at lyrics for a song, the only thing I ever really expect is just to see meaningful lyrics. Whether those are words that really hits home and makes me cry or are uplifting enough to motivate me, as long as it's able to touch my heart in some way - that's all I really need. What Yonezu did with Haiiro to Ao went beyond my own expectations. Not only do we have meaningful lyrics about friendship, but the lyrics also forms a story and helps you visualize it as well.

Lyrics Translation ©

Faltering between how long of sleeves to wear, it's summer’s end
Being rocked by the dawn train and remembering
That nostalgic scenery
Taking many detours, over and over
Only passing through this familiar cityscape
My reflection in the window
Even now, just like then, you're still there, right?
Riding around on that crushed and crooked bicycle
A ridiculous tightrope walk, blood oozing from my knee
Nowadays somehow feeling so awfully empty
Even as much as my height will change, I'm hoping that some things remain the same
Encouraged by trivial traces of what was
Even now I sing, even now I sing, even now I sing
In a taxi driving around in this restless town
Absentmindedly being carried around, I sneezed
Gazing outside the window
In that moment my heart was trembling
I'm sure that meeting you once again would be good
I haven't forgotten anything
Even now, just like then, you're still there, right?
Searching around for a missing shoe dropped in the bushes
“Even if something comes up for us, surely it will turn out okay"
We innocently laughed; I remember those days
However awkwardly I'll get hurt, I offer a bouquet of flowers to the never-ending days
Chasing after those worthless shadows
Even now I sing, even now I sing, even now I sing
The waning moon before the morning sun rises,
I wonder if you’re out there somewhere looking at it too
Even though there’s no reason why, my chest hurts
Faces blurring, hazy colors
Shouting that it’s sad now, after such a long time
I wonder if it’s way too late for all that
If I could start over once again, walking from the beginning
I want for us to pass by each other and meet
Even as much as my height will change,
I'm hoping that some things remain the same
Encouraged by trivial traces of what was
Even now I sing, even now I sing, even now I sing
The waning moon before the morning sun rises,
I wonder if you’re out there somewhere looking at it too
Laughing that it’s nothing, the morning sun comes
A blue-colored beginning

My interpretation of the lyrics was that this was a story about two friends reminiscing on old times. They've drifted apart, they went separate paths but they're still thinking about each. It's about nostalgia. And personally, overall theme really hits home because I find myself in a similar situation with a real life friend of mine. From within the bubble of music that I've listen to, a good 70% of the songs with friendship themes that I have listened (w/ translation) to always been so chipper and upbeat - the whole friendship is magic bit. However, having Haiiro to Ao feels so fresh for me in not just the music, but adding a new perspective to friendship. People drift away, that's life too.

What I'm going to say next is going to be based on the localized translation - this probably doesn't apply to the actual Japanese lyrics itself. I love the usage of the figurative language here. The descriptions really helps visualize the story of two friends, their memories and their current setting. With Masaki's and Yonezu's vocals, they also help bring these voices to life and make the two different characters more distinct rather than the song being about one friend singing about the other. The lyrics are flowery in its own way, but still very straight-forward at the same time.

Honestly, I don't know what else I can say. This is just a song that I really love and the lyrics are really great. I would really like to see Masaki collaborate again with Yonezu; it would be really interesting. So what are your favorite lyrics? Let me know!

Until my next post, jyaa ne~

Comments

Popular Posts